“School is boring.”
“Why do I have to learn all this irrelevant crap?”
“When am I ever going to use this in real life?”
“My teachers don’t care about me and they don’t listen.”
SOUND FAMILIAR? If, so, you’ve come to the right place.
At Open Space Education we help students love learning by providing the knowledge of how to learn and the opportunity to CHOOSE what they want to learn.
This method of education is vastly different from the idea of school that we have come to know. It’s not a prescribed set of content that students need to memorize, it’s a series of frameworks that students can use to build skills, build a portfolio and follow their own path. It empowers students to take charge of their own lives. This method of education is EXACTLY what students need in the 21st century. It’s called Open Space Education.
- choosing what interests you as a focus for your educaiton
- deciding for yourself what books to read, videos to watch, and courses to take
- creating your own personal goals and flexible deadlines
- having a personal “learning designer” who supports and encourages you, rather than a “teacher” who corrects you
- having your voice heard
- doing what you want, when you want and still being a successful student
- learning real skills NOW, and not waiting to get on the path to work or college
I know. It sounds too good to be true. But the truth is, school doesn’t have to suck. Learning can be fun. And, education can be focused on students, not teachers, state standards and test scores. That’s why I created Open Space Education.
Our world is rapidly changing. It’s time for education to make a big change too. You can find a successful path to college or a career without being forced to sit still, listen and obey. In fact, you will need to learn the EXACT OPPOSITE of obedience to succeed in the 21st century; you will need to learn how to think for yourself, how to solve problems, and how to engage in a global world.
- Do you want to be treated with compassion and respect?
- Do you want to design your own future?
- Do you want to stop being judged by test scores?
- Do you want to engage with other students in solving the huge environmental and social problems facing our world?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Open Space Education just might be for you. As an individual, you can use Open Space Education to supplement school, or it can be your school. It’s up to you. As a teacher or a school organization, you can use Open Space Education to meet your students needs and to bring your school into the 21st century.
If you’d like to learn more please subscribe to our news and join our free network. You’ll have access to our community and our free educational tools.
The Open Space Education Team